Slow inserts

Jens Rantil jens.rantil at telavox.se
Mon Apr 11 12:00:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have set up a 5-node test environment to give Riak a test run. I wrote a Python script (http://pastebin.com/geQ00Ngb) that put 53780 key-values into my cluster. Using round robin, 11 threads inserted these values in ~70 seconds. This means an average of ~750 key-values/second. Is this the expected speed of inserts? It seems quite slow. The Mozilla benchmark (http://blog.mozilla.com/data/2010/08/16/benchmarking-riak-for-the-mozilla-test-pilot-project/) reached > 1500 ops/second for significantly bigger values than my benchmark.

Additional information:
* Four of the nodes were not doing anything else.
* n_val=3
* For every insert, w=1 and dw=0.
* All nodes are using riak_0.14.1-1_amd64.deb and I have not changed any of the defaults settings except Erlang -cookie and -name.

Thanks,
Jens Rantil