[newbie] riak performance - basics

Kelly McLaughlin kelly at basho.com
Wed Apr 13 10:38:41 EDT 2011

MH,

Riak may not seem as fast in a single node configuration compared to things
like mongodb or others, but keep in mind the strengths of Riak are its
performance at scale and the ease with which it does scale. Nobody runs a
single node configuration in an actual production environment so keep that
in mind as you draw conclusions from your tests. I would encourage you to do
some testing on a cluster of nodes. Riak is written in Erlang and the
benefits of Erlang really become apparent when there is a lot of concurrent
load. The advantages of Riak specifically become apparent when you have a
few nodes crash, but don't lose any data and your cluster keeps humming
along. I would also point out the ease of administration with Riak. Scaling
either up or down is very simple I think when compared to other systems that
use shards or other schemes. Hope this helps some. Good luck and have fun!

-Kelly