When's the PBC API going to be brought up to snuff?

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at mailrank.com
Thu Apr 21 16:36:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Andrew Thompson <andrew at hijacked.us> wrote:

> Changes include conditional get [{if_modified, VClock}], conditional put
> [if_none_match], [if_not_modified] and a way to get the metadata of an
> object without its value; [head].

It's a good start, thanks. One particular case of conditional PUT that I
would find very useful is "put only if this bucket/key does not already
exist", which I can achieve using HTTP via "If-None-Match: *", and now via
the new if_none_match on RpbPutReq. It seems weird to transplant the
relevant HTTP header names to the protobuf specifications of RpbPutReq and
RpbGetReq, though, as those names make no sense outside of a HTTP context,
and they don't mirror the HTTP semantics anyway. If if_none_match was
if_missing, for instance, that would reduce the cognitive dissonance.