High volume data series storage and queries

Paul O pcotec at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 21:17:10 EDT 2011

I sent this earlier to Ciprian without cc-ing the list.
---
Hi Ciprian,

Regarding the write penalty for batches, I plan to have a pre-write cache
(hence the query step will also have to include a step for this
verification, but I'm expecting the pre-cache volume to be small so I'd
consider a RDBMs for it.)

As I wrote in my clarifications for Jeremiah, I'm expecting lots of data
even per source, that's why I'd like to take advantage of the data kind and
limit the queries to avoid having to go through all values even those of a
single source.

Think about multiple readers and writers at the same time and I thought (but
am not sure) that storing opaque batches would be the most predictable and
would allow the data store to grow relatively linearly (this is where Riak
should help :-)

The strategy you're suggesting would eliminate the need for the intermediary
index, am I understanding this correctly?

Anyway, I still have to think about your suggestions, using Riak-core and
then storing the individual data files in an embedded DB is a neat idea and
might allow more flexibility later (operations across all batches, etc.)

Regards,

Paul