NoSQL combinations - what works best?

Matt Ranney mjr at ranney.com
Tue Aug 9 14:33:17 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The main point of memcache is that it is distributed and the clients
> automatically handle failover at any reasonably large scale.  How do you
> arrange that with redis?

You can achieve this with Redis with a little bit of client-side magic.
 Antirez suggests this:

http://antirez.com/post/redis-presharding.html

I've implemented a similar scheme with Redis, except also added a replica
for every shard.  The clients in this case know about all shards and all
replicas and do failover themselves.

I really like Redis, but once Riak gets secondary indicies, I hope to be
able to scrap this big cluster of Redis servers and keep everything in Riak.

Redis is really good for being just one of something.  You can use it for
locks, unique ID generation, etc., but you somehow need to address the
failure case.