NoSQL combinations - what works best?

Will Moss wmoss at bu.mp
Tue Aug 9 13:56:20 EDT 2011

Apparently Antirez is currently working on a cluster solution to Redis, but
in the meantime, he's written a good blog post about how to get around the
issues:

http://antirez.com/post/redis-presharding.html

TL;DR: Redis is light-weight, so just run a bunch of instances on one
machine and ring hash among them. If you need to distribute your load in the
future, just move some of those instances to a new machine.

We've done something like this with good success for things where we need
more ram/cpu than one redis instance can provide. Obviously things like set
intersections don't work across instances, but if you're not using that (or
you make sure your hashing scheme is consistent enough to allow for the
intersections you need), it works great.

Will