NoSQL combinations - what works best?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:12:48 EDT 2011

On 8/9/2011 12:48 PM, Alexander Sicular wrote:
> Hmm. Not that I know of. Afaik, the memcache server itself is
> standalone.

Yes, that's the point - there's no constraint on how many you have and
they don't need to replicate (but they also aren't reliable for persistence)

> Any distributed magic happens at the client level via some
> circular hashing voodoo or sharding pixie dust. Keep the client mojo and
> swap memcached for redis.

The distribution works because it is strictly key/value so the key
hashing is all you need.  But, it also works because someone has spent a
lot of time making it work reasonably when some of the servers fail.
You'd have to repeat that work for anything else and then it still
probably wouldn't cache better than memcache.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com