Slow Riak issue

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 09:08:40 EDT 2011

I've CC'd in OJ and the riak-users lists on this.

---
Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP

On Aug 26, 2011, at 11:35 PM, Neil Unadkat wrote:

> Hey Jeremiah,
>
> I tried using CorrugatedIron, but it used to connect only to the nodes i had started on my machine. As in, i had 2 nodes running on my mac os, and i have a vm running windows 7, through which using CorrugatedIron i could connect and write to those nodes.

I develop CorrugatedIron in a Windows 7 VM on OS X. I had to do a few things to get CorrugatedIron in Windows to talk to Riak in OS X:

1) Configure Riak to listen on 0.0.0.0 - this will listen for connections no matter which IP they are asking for.
    THIS IS UNSAFE TO DEPLOY INTO PRODUCTION.
    SET THIS UP PROPERLY WHEN YOU MOVE TO PRODUCTION.
2) Set up a loopback adapter that listens on a specific IP - this makes it easy to set up a DNS alias on your localhost and VMs.
3) Set up a DNS alias in /etc/hosts
4) Use the host name instead of the IP address. You can see this in all of the CorrugatedIron code, we use host names instead of IP addresses.

I have aliases in my .bash_profile to add and remove loopback adapters. It looks like this:

alias add_loopback='sudo ifconfig lo0 alias 10.0.0.22'
alias remove_loopback='sudo ifconfig lo0 -alias 10.0.0.22'

/etc/hosts on OS X has this line in it:

127.0.0.1    riak-test

and the Windows hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) has this line in it:

10.0.0.22    riak-test

> Just 2 days back i could manage to talk to the other nodes i had setup on another machine through CorrugatedIron. But still everything is quite slow. I have enabled the PBC interface on the nodes.
> Even if we use the C# native classes for HTTP it should take too long right?

HTTP is going to be orders of magnitude slower than Protocol Buffers. There's an exceptional amount of overhead involved in HTTP, especially for small messages. CorrugatedIron will use Protocol Buffers for almost all operations. There are a few operations  that are not supported by Riak's API so we have to drop down to HTTP requests for those.

Riak's performance is going to be bound by the speed of your hard drive. Every write that Riak performs goes to disk. There is no buffering like you would see with MongoDB (or even buffering of data like you'd see in an RDBMS). If you are using a laptop and you're using the HDD that came with it, you have a 5400RPM hard drive which is by all standards an incredibly slow drive. You can compound that with 3 Riak nodes running on the same drive AND one of those nodes running on a virtual environment AND it's a slow laptop HDD with poor caching. I suspect you can see how this would not be the fastest thing on earth.

For development purposes, it's advisable to use a single Riak node running on bare metal (a non-virtualized OS). Once you move into production you can either change the configuration in CorrugatedIron to use multiple nodes or you can use a proxy/load balancer to push your writes out to all of your Riak nodes. The benefit of using an abstractions we've built into Corrugated Iron is that you don't need to worry about the physical implementation - you can a configuration and you're good to go.