Achieving 100% consitency

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:33:16 EDT 2011

That's the advice I usually give and the exact same reasons I give it.

In an off-list email (as Jonathan knows), I equated it to saying "You should never do RDBMS development without a big enterprise grade server with $500k of SAN behind it." I typically say to build a dev environment that is as close to production as will give you production-like performance. Putting 3 nodes on my crappy stock laptop HDD isn't going to give me anything remotely like a production environment (well… there is always EC2 performance).

We see these questions a lot on the list and I don't feel that telling clients "Well, it's gonna suck until you get it into production" isn't the best possible answer. A lot of people seem to be developing on 3-node clusters made out of Mac Minis, HP micro servers, and EC2; but even more people seem to be developing on laptops and wondering why they're seeing horrible performance.

---
Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP