Schema Architecture, Map Reduce & Key Lists

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:52:46 EST 2011

Riak 0.14 brings key filters - it's still going to take time to filter the keys in memory, but it's an in memory operation. Using 'smart keys' along the lines of UNIXTIMESTAMP:placement:campaign:customer you can rapidly filter your keys using meaningful criteria and perform MapReduce jobs on the results.

Nothing says you can't also store the same data in multiple buckets in multiple formats to make querying easier.

In response to number 2 - there's a way to set Riak to auto expire data from a bucket. It'll only be removed when compactions occur, but if you're storing clickstream data that should be happen often enough.

--
Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP