eventual consistency and events

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Mon Feb 28 17:55:56 EST 2011

This is handled in Dynamo-style architectures like Riak with quorums.  In Riak's case, you rely on the "W" and "DW" quorum values to determine what is an acceptable threshold for considering a write to be a success.  By default, W and DW are set to "quorum", which means N/2+1 (for N=3, this is 2) partitions must reply that they both 1) received the write (W) and 2) committed the write to durable storage (DW).  This allows you to lose one replica via outage, network partition, or overload and still have 2 copies available for read on the next operation.  An interesting side-effect of this is that even though a write may appear to have failed from the client's perspective, some partitions may have succeeded.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/