Riak Cluster Setup on EC2

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Wed Feb 2 10:08:21 EST 2011

Abhishek,

First, make sure all of your nodes are in the same security group.  Second, check that your OS doesn't have an additional firewall installed (iptables, for example).  Third, you might consider doing what the Chef recipe for Riak does and limit the ports that Erlang uses for distributed communication.  Adding a section to app.config like the below will limit the port range:

{kernel, [
  {inet_dist_listen_min, 6000},
  {inet_dist_listen_max, 7999}
]}

You'll need to stop Riak, kill the "epmd" process, and then start Riak up again for this change to take effect.  Make sure those ports are also open in your security group and any software firewall you have.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/