Riak Cluster Setup on EC2

John D. Rowell me at jdrowell.com
Wed Feb 2 15:21:25 EST 2011

You need to open the extra erlang ports in your security group. We do the
following:

In the security group, open up TCP port 4369 to 10.0.0.0/8, and ports
8000-8089 (or other range) to 10.0.0.0/8 also. This would allow any instance
(even those that are not yours) to access those ports, so we block those
outside of our cluster in our firewall script:

  # epmd from other replicas
  allow_tcp_in_from 4369 "$CLUSTER"
  allow_tcp_in_from "8000:8089" "$CLUSTER"

Then in app.config we redefine the erlang ports:

 {kernel, [
         {inet_dist_listen_min, 8000},
         {inet_dist_listen_max, 8088}
         ]}

You need to make sure that all machines in your cluster have these same
settings (firewall and app.config).

Hope this helps.

-jd