Ripple one Association Troubles

Stephen Allred stephenallred at stevesmiscellany.com
Tue Feb 8 13:23:12 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'm having trouble setting up a one association in a ripple document. I'm trying to setup an association between a user and a journal entry, such that the journal has one user, that the user created.

My JournalEntry document:

--- journal_entry.rb ---
require 'ripple'

class JournalEntry
  include Ripple::Document

  property :short_title,  String, :presence => true
  property :title,        String, :presence => true
  property :entry,        String, :presence => true

  timestamps!

  one :user

  key_on :short_title
end
---

My User document:

--- user.rb ---
require 'ripple'
require 'digest'

class User
  include Ripple::Document

  devise :registerable, :confirmable, :database_authenticatable, :recoverable, :validatable

  property :email,                  String, :presence => true
  property :password,               String
  property :password_confirmation,  String
  timestamps!

  key_on :email

  def key
    email
  end

  def id
    email
  end
end
---

I've tried in the rails console to associate a user with journal_entry (journal_entry.user = user), save it and reload it. The resulting reloaded journal_entry does not have a user (calling journal_entry.user prints "(Object doesn't support #inspect)").

My journal entry in riak loaded via the browser looks like:

{"short_title":"test","title":"test","entry":"test","created_at":"Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:47:17 -0000","updated_at":"Tue, 08 Feb 2011 18:08:47 -0000","_type":"JournalEntry"}

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Cheers!
Steve