Spikes in node_(get|put)_fsm_time_100

Anthony Molinaro anthonym at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 8 15:09:34 EST 2011

Hi,

  I have a 4 node cluster using riak_kv_multi_backend with one backend
configured to use riak_kv_bitcask_backend.  I'm using the multi backend
because eventually I want to also run a cache backend.  I'm sampling
the statistics once per minute and viewing them in rrd and noticed
something odd.  The node_(get|put)_fsm_time_100 sometimes spike to
60 seconds while 99.99% of the time it's less than 2 milliseconds.

I'm going to work around by lowering the timeouts in riak-erlang-client
but this seems like it could continue to be a problem if the get/put
fsms continue to run even if the client times out.

Anyway, just curious if others have experienced this sort of long tail
spikiness.

-Anthony