Riak Recap for Feb. 9 - 10

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Feb 11 19:03:42 EST 2011

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to Everyone,

We have a massive Recap for today: Riak in GigaOM and ReadWriteWeb,
blog posts, IRC convos, a new release for Riak + Spring,
KillDashNine-ing in Stockholm and more.

** Before we get to the Recap, a quick announcement: Basho is hiring
Developer Advocates! Email hornbeck at basho.com for more information.

Have a great weekend.

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

---

Riak Recap for Feb. 9 - 10

1) All of the Basho web properties have been redesigned!

* Start here  -> basho.com and click like crazy.

2) GigaOm wrote a piece on Basho, Riak, and the new round of funding.

* Read here --->
http://gigaom.com/cloud/nosql-startup-basho-raises-7-5m-for-riak/

3) ReadWriteWeb also ran a piece on Riak on Wednesday. This one
focused more on users, and highlighted Inagist, Mozilla and Wikia.

* Read here --->
http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2011/02/how-3-companies-are-using-nosq.php

3.1) Which reminds me, if you're using/planning to use Riak in
production and haven't put yourself on the wiki yet, you should do so.
(It's good for the soul.)

* Fork and contribute to this page here --->
http://wiki.basho.com/Who-is-Using-Riak.html

4) Francisco Treacy and the Widescript team started a twitter account
to keep people up to date on what's happening with Riak-js, Riak's
Node.js client. Follow it here ---> http://twitter.com/riakjs Also, if
you haven't seen http://riakjs.org/ yet, you'll want to do so ASAP.

5) There is as Riak chat room set up on Convore ---> https://convore.com/riak/

* Also, congrats are in order for Eric Florenzano (@ericflo) who
launched Convore this past Wednesday. (He's also been know to use a
bit of Riak from time to time.)

6) Steve Gravell wrote a short and sweet piece about indexing data in
Riak Search.

* Read here --->
http://mokele.co.uk/2011/02/06/auto-index-by-riak-search-with-a-postcommit-hook.html

7) Version 1.0.0.M2 of the Spring Data Key Value project was released.
Arguably the coolest new Riak-specific feature in this release is the
dedicated Groovy DSL for asynchronous Riak access.

* Details here ---> http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=103207

** Just out of curiosity, is anyone using/planning to use Spring +
Riak? Anything interesting to report?

8) There have been a few interesting Riak-related questions that
appeared on Quora over the last few days:

*  http://www.quora.com/BankSimple/Why-is-BankSimple-experimenting-with-Riak-rather-than-Cassandra
*  http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-Riak-has-over-CouchBase

9) Mårten Gustafson wrote up a quick blog post about the KillDashNine
gathering he held in Stockholm on Feb 9th.

* Read all about it here --->
http://mgustafson.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/stockholm-killdashnine-1/

10) stodge and justinsheehy had a very short conversation in #riak
that started with "Does write performance degrade as the size of the
database increases? I'm talking millions of writes."

* Gist here ---> https://gist.github.com/823211

11) Riak was talked about in a piece on CRMOutsiders.

* Post here --->
http://www.crmoutsiders.com/2011/02/09/the-cloud-big-data-and-the-future-of-crm/