tuning riak for 100s of concurrent connections

Bob Feldbauer bob at completefusion.com
Wed Feb 23 15:08:33 EST 2011

After importing data into Riak, I'm in a basically 100% GET scenario. I
haven't done much load testing other than throwing live traffic at it,
but with that I've seen ~150 concurrent connections.

I'm using Jetty app servers (Riak Java client) which are using protobufs
to hit an HAProxy server, which load balances my 7 Riak nodes. I really
haven't done anything special, other than using protobufs and fronting
Riak with HAProxy.

Other than that, I would just say "use fast disks" and/or add nodes as
needed to hit your capacity targets -- because with that traffic and 7
nodes with 1 1TB disk per node, I'm seeing ~0.5-<1.0 load average on
Riak nodes as iowait.

Feel free to hop on the #riak IRC channel and I'd be happy to try to
answer any other questions about our setup.

- Bob Feldbauer