erlang client

Qvin . at
Fri Jan 7 20:54:25 EST 2011

I am trying to connect to riak using the riak-erlang-client v1.0.2 from but I've not been successful. I get the error listed below -
2> {ok, Pid}=riakc_pb_socket:start_link("", 8098).
3> Pid.
4> riakc_pb_socket:ping(Pid).

=ERROR REPORT==== 7-Jan-2011::20:37:22 ===
** Generic server <0.35.0> terminating
** Last message in was {req_timeout,#Ref<>}
** When Server state == {state,"",8098,false,false,undefined,
** Reason for termination ==
** disconnected
** exception exit: disconnected
I am running riak 0.14 and I know that it's working fine as I am able to connect to it through the http interface.  I have erlang R13B04 installed. I tried this on Ubuntu 10.10 with erlang R13B03 installed and I had the same problem.
Any suggestions? Is this is a erlang client issue?
Thanks in advance,