How do you choose riak search over map reduce vice versa?

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 22:58:24 EST 2011

Following on what others have said: I would use Riak Search when I need to
do searching and querying.

I would use MapReduce when I have distributed functionality that I need to
perform (aggregations, complex data manipulation) or when the conditions of
my query are complex enough that I cannot feasibly perform the query in a
Riak Search (e.g. find every employee whose base salary + bonuses + stock
options exercised is more that 150% of base salary).

Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
MCITP: Database Developer, DBA