Future plans

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Fri Jul 1 10:49:01 EDT 2011

If you can't wait for native geo-spatial indexes, there are also numerous
techniques for creating them over distributed hash tables (like Riak).  In
some limited use-cases, you could create flat indexes directly in Riak,
where the keys are named for the distance along a space-filling curve (like
Hilbert, Lebesgue/Z-curve or Peano). The flat-index technique plays nicely
with Riak's existing MapReduce query system.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM, David Smith <dizzyd at basho.com> wrote:

> Hi Stanislavs,
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Staņislavs Koikovs
> <stanislavs.koikovs at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > * Distributed counters;
> > * Geospatial indexing support in search;
> > * Offline / batch processing for data.
>
> As you noted, we're sorta busy with the existing features for the next
> major release. :) Insofar as counters go, we've had some discussion
> about how to do them and may take a look at it after the release -- a
> lot depends on customer needs.
>
> Can you elaborate on what you mean by offline/batch processing? We're
> working on improving the usefulness of MapReduce w/ very large jobs,
> but I'm not sure if that aligns with what you're asking about.
>
> Thanks,
>
> D.
>
> --
> Dave Smith