LevelDB driver

David Smith dizzyd at basho.com
Fri Jul 1 12:03:26 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Yesterday, we merged in support for the LevelDB
(http://code.google.com/p/leveldb/) as a backend driver for Riak.

Initial benchmarking of LevelDB suggests that it is competitive to
InnoDB (aka innostore) for most use cases. The recovery model is much
better, as LevelDB uses an append-only storage system, and the license
is such that we can include it in the default Riak packages (i.e.
much, much easier to use).

To get started, grab the latest Riak from Github and use the
"riak_kv_eleveldb_backend" in app.config as your backend driver. Data
will be stored in data/leveldb.

We anticipate LevelDB being a good complement to Bitcask. For anything
approaching random I/O, where it's acceptable for the keyspace to be
in RAM, bitcask will be very (very) hard to beat. However, if you've
got a large keyspace that doesn't have purely random I/O, LevelDB will
useful and meet or exceed the performance characteristics seen with
Inno. You can find a more complete analysis on our blog:

http://blog.basho.com/2011/07/01/Leveling-the-Field/

As with some of the other major changes landing this summer, we'd
encourage you NOT to use this in production just yet.

Thanks,

D.

--
Dave Smith