riak_err starts writing to stdout/stderr

Anthony Molinaro anthonym at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:10:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

  I've been using riak_err for a while in an otp application and have
noticed that when I initially start the system up, the stdout/stderr
is redirected to the log I specify, at least for all PROGRESS REPORT
messages.  However, if anything calls error_logger:error_msg, the message
goes to both the alternate log and to the stdout log, so it ends up
in 2 places.

Here's what one of the systems shows (this one happends to be R13B04, but
I also have R14B03 systems which exhibit the same behavior).

Erlang R13B04 (erts-5.7.5) [source] [64-bit] [smp:16:16] [rq:16]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.7.5  (abort with ^G)
(erlang at host)1> gen_event:which_handlers(error_logger).
[riak_err_handler]
(erlang at host)2> application:get_all_env(sasl).
[{errlog_type,all},
 {sasl_error_logger,{file,"/mnt/erlang/sasl.log"}},
 {included_applications,[]}]
(erlang at host)3> application:get_all_env(riak_err).
[{included_applications,[]}]

Also, I start with
  -boot start \
  -sasl sasl_error_logger "{file,\"/mnt/erlang/sasl.log\"}"

and sasl is started prior to riak_err.

So is this expected behavior?  I assume somehow sasl_report_tty_h is still
going somewhere, but I don't quite understand how.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Anthony