best practices on data storage?

Sylvain Niles sylvain.niles at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 02:40:30 EDT 2011

Hi Rohman, the conversation yesterday got us to thinking and Basho confirmed
that buckets are a form of key prefix. So no matter how small the bucket it
will traverse the whole key space for a map reduce. We sat down and did some
thinking of how to work our data differently as we have a similar use case
to you and decided on nested docs using Ripple. In our case we had special
buckets for each user like you describe below. Now that bucket is a nested
JSON struct inside the user object instead of a separate bucket. In your use
case you could have all statuses as a nested struct on your user object and
display would be a matter of linkwalking all an user's friends and parsing
status content with some time/sorting.