Cassandra's SuperColumns in Riak?

Antonio Rohman Fernandez rohman at mahalostudio.com
Fri Jul 29 05:12:29 EDT 2011

Yes, it can be done via MapReduce as i was doing, but seeing the
latest developments that speed improvement was null was a shock to me,
moreover when i'm trying to build a social network... haha... I really
think it will help if buckets could be queried ( MapReduce ) directly
without minding how many buckets or data is inside Riak.

Rohman

On
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 05:04:34 -0400, Jonathan Langevin wrote:

> I second
the motion!
> BTW, as a side discussion, it may be possible to emulate
that functionality with map/reduce, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as
powerful/versatile as if the functionality were directly built into
Riak... Not sure if emulation via map/reduce would even be worth the
effort to consider.

> [14]
>
> _JONATHAN LANGEVIN_
> Systems
Administrator

> LOOM INC.
> Wilmington, NC: (910) 241-0433 -
jlangevin at loomlearning.com [15] - www.loomlearning.com [16] - Skype:
intel352

wrote:

>> sorry, my bad, i wanted to say "ColumnFamilies" or
"SuperColumnFamilies", here there is some info:

http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70 [6]

Jul 2011 16:47:28 +0800, Antonio Rohman Fernandez wrote:

>>> Could
it be possible to have "SuperColums" as Cassandra has? ( "SuperBuckets"
would be more ideal name )
>>> I think it would be a great improvement
if we can query a bucket without having to look at all buckets and keys
in memory to search for it... this way it would be easier and faster to
modulate data so if you distribute data in small buckets, the MapReduce
on them would get faster... not sure if is possible to implement, but is
something i really would love to have in Riak and it would help me a lot
in my project... knowing that atomizing buckets ( "rohman_messages",
"fyodor_messages" ) has no advantage over a huge "messages" bucket
really disappointed me.
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Rohman
>>>
>>> [1]