riak search

Saurabh Sehgal saurabh.r.s at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:53:59 EDT 2011

Hi Sean,

Please let me know if I am wrong - but according to my understanding, the
documents to index should reside on disk (the example on the wiki indexes
*.txt files in a directory). What if my data is not written to files, but
exists in a riak bucket. Do I have to pull it out and store it in a file on
disk to be able to index it ?

Also, do you know if there are any erlang clients/helper libs for solr. I
could not find any. Can the post commit hooks in riak be written in Java ?

Thank you,

Saurabh

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com> wrote:

> Saurabh,
>
> If you want to go with Solr, you have a few options:
>
> 1) Use application code to post an <add> document to Solr when saving your
> data into Riak.
> 2) Implement a Riak post-commit hook in Erlang to do the same, or to queue
> the additions to another process that can submit them to Solr.
>
> I think you'll find that while on-disk indexes sound bad, that's actually
> how Solr does them too, and not every index query will hit disk on either
> system.  The primary difference is that Riak Search is tightly integrated
> with Riak KV and so you get a lot for free when you choose Riak Search,
> including auto-indexing and MapReduce queries that start with a search.
>
> Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
> Developer Advocate
> Basho Technologies, Inc.
> http://basho.com/
>
> On Mar 15, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Saurabh Sehgal wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Since riak search is marked as "Beta Software" on the wiki, I am skeptical
> to use it in production.
>
> Does riak offer any APIs or integration points that would allow me to index
> data into Solr ?
> Specifically, I am storing key/value pairs in riak, where the value is a
> binary erlang term containing a tuple of text I would like to index.
>
> Also, going through the riak search documentation, the erlang API seems to
> only have the capability of indexing documents
> on disk as files (please correct me if this isn't true). Is there
> functionality to automatically retrieve and index documents already stored
> in riak ?
> --
>
> Saurabh
>

> --