Riak Recap for March 25 - 27

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Mar 28 20:43:18 EDT 2011

Evening, Morning, Afternoon to All -

For today's Recap: A video of the recent Riak Meetup in San Francisco,
new wiki content, Gists from #riak, and more.

Enjoy.

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups
----

Riak Recap for March 25 - 27

1) As promised, the video of the "Riak and Scala at Yammer"
presentation is now available on the Basho Blog.

* Watch here ---> http://blog.basho.com/2011/03/28/Riak-and-Scala-at-Yammer

2) We add a new page to the wiki that is all about capacity planning.
A lot of you should find this useful.

* Check it out here ---> http://wiki.basho.com/Cluster-Capacity-Planning.html

It's worth noting that we have a more formal "Calculator" utility on
the way based on the mythical Capacity Planning spreadsheet that some
of you have seen floating around. With any luck this will be up by the
end og the week. (It's in the "bitcask_calculator" branch of the Riak
Wiki repo on GitHub if anyone wants to check it out or help us put the
final touches on it.)

3) reiddrapper, lusis and drev1 had a conversation in #riak about the
process of manually scaling up a cluster of nodes on EC2 and what
tools are out there to automate it.

* Gist here ---> https://gist.github.com/891586

3.1) On a related note, Wesley Bearey (@geemus) is working on some
scripts to automate spinning up Riak clusters with Fog.

* On GitHub here ---> https://github.com/geemus/prototypes/blob/master/riaked.rb
* For those of you who aren't familiar with Fog, check it out here
---> https://github.com/geemus/fog

Note: As far as I know this code works well but hasn't been tested
very extensively, so keep that in mind.

4) @dnene (Dhananjay Nene) has a repo up on GitHub called "bowling"
which he's describing as "A learning exercise in evolving programs in
erlang using bowling scoring as the context." It looks like it might
be a worthwhile chunk of code for anyone looking to wrap their heads
around working with Erlang.

* Code here --->https://github.com/dnene/bowling

5) Q --- Updating an object a couple of times, and then reading it,
returns the first value instead of the last. Is this correct? (from
nethunter via #riak )

    A --- Yes. The client must provide a vector clock with each update.