Riak search - Lucene

Joshua Partogi joshua.java at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:26:23 EST 2011

Hi there,

I am trying to picture the relationship between Riak and Lucene [or
how Riak interacts with Lucene], which makes Riak search. Questions
arise such as:

1. Does riak only acts as a proxy [or interface] for Solr, because I
saw in the app.config that we need to specify the Solr port ?
   a) If so, is there a one-to-one relationship between Riak - Solr
[or does one Riak instance can only connect to one Solr instance]?
   b) If not, how is Lucene used by Riak search?
2. Where is the index stored? In Lucene or Riak KV store?

It would also be great if a interaction diagram between Riak KV and
Lucene/Solr is provided in the wiki so n00bs like me can see a high
level overview of Riak search.

Kind regards,
Joshua.
--