Riak search - Lucene

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Wed Mar 2 21:06:54 EST 2011

Hi, Joshua.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to picture the relationship between Riak and Lucene [or
> how Riak interacts with Lucene], which makes Riak search.

This is a very easy relationship to picture, as there is no such
interaction.  :-)

Riak Search does not use Lucene or Solr.  It provides a very similar
interface to those search systems in order to ease the transition for
developers, but is an independent piece of software from top to
bottom.  Indexes are stored in Riak Search's own storage engine,
queries are parsed by Riak Search's parser, and so on.

The closest thing there is to such a relationship is that you can (but
do not need to) use the same text analyzer libraries in Riak Search
that you use in Lucene.

I hope that this helps with your understanding.

Best regards,

-Justin