Riak Recap for March 9 - 10

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Mar 11 18:50:08 EST 2011

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to All,

Before we get into the Recap I wanted to say that myself and Basho
send our thoughts, prayers, and best wishes out to anyone who may have
been impacted by today's earthquake in Japan.

For today's Recap: A new Meetup in Stockholm, videos, jobs, some great
convos and questions from #riak, and much more.

Have a great weekend.

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups
----

Riak Recap for March 9 - 10

1) There is a new regularly-scheduled Riak Meetup starting! This one
will be in Stockholm, and is being organized by Mårten Gustafson
(@martengustafson) and several other developers in the Stockholm area.

* Details and registration here --->
http://www.meetup.com/Stockholm-Riak-Meetup/
* This has also been added to the list of Meetups on the Riak Wiki
---> http://wiki.basho.com/The-Riak-Community.html#Meetups (As you'll
notice, there is plenty of room for more Meetups to be added...)

Also, big thanks to the leadership team -
http://www.meetup.com/Stockholm-Riak-Meetup/members/?op=leaders - for
getting this off the ground!

2) InfoQ posted a video of Andy Gross' "Riak Core: Dynamo Building
Blocks" presentation from last year's QCon event in San Francisco.
This is a great talk, and if you haven't had a chance to dig into
riak_core, I highly recommend you do so.

* Video here ---> http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Riak-Core

Related material:

* Introducing Riak Core --->
http://blog.basho.com/2010/07/30/introducing-riak-core/
* riak_core on GitHub ---> https://github.com/basho/riak_core

3) Wikia is hiring Operations Engineers in the San Francisco area with
Riak experience.

* Details here --->
http://www.ventureloop.com/ventureloop/jobdetail.php?jobid=59835

4) seancribbs and Spyplane had a brief discussion in #riak about the
feasibility of using Riak and/or Riak Search for a use case requiring
indexing.

* Gist here ---> https://gist.github.com/866691

5) Q --- When retrieving a list of siblings via the REST interface, I
am getting the same vtag appearing multiple times. Is this normal? I
thought the vtags were unique? Are they referring to the same sibling?
(from thebird via #riak)

   A --- The vtag is calculated on a PUT based on the vclock and is
stored as part of the object's meta data. It would be possible to get
siblings with the same vtag when vector clock pruning or read/reapair
was happening.

6) We added a page to the Wiki for both Riak and Riak Search release notes.

* Check it out here ---> http://wiki.basho.com/Release-Notes.html

(h/t to Scott Gonyea for putting this together.)

7) MailRank's Haskell client got a bump to version 0.3.0.2 yesterday.

* Test drive it here if you haven't already --->
https://github.com/mailrank/riak-haskell-client

8) atoi and seancribbs had a brief chat in #riak that started with,
"Any thoughts on Riak for stats for an ecommerce website?"

* Gist here ---> https://gist.github.com/866802