Riak n00b questions

Ishwar ishwarsridharan at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 10:31:57 EDT 2011

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll use load-balancers to distribute the load.

>>2. My familiarity with erlang and Javascript is minimal. Would somebody answer if the following things are doable/advisable to do?
>>     a. Most of the processes I want to run on the data are in python and php. Is it possible to call these processes from erlang/javascript?
>>
>It is not currently, but we are looking into the feasibility of supporting other languages.  However, I might say that if you're already doing Python and PHP, it would be worth your while (and not difficult) to learn JavaScript.

We already have a whole bunch of processing on the data written in Python and PHP, and porting them to Javascript is (1) very tedious, and (2) Javascript does not support the required functionality. For example, we do a bunch of NLP analysis on the data.

Given these, is it advisable if I expose these processes as webservices and call them from javascript/erlang?

>     b. I've been looking for MapReduce tutorials for python client, but couldn't find any. Can somebody point to a sample MapReduce from python client, for example, to retrieve multiple records from Riak? (Given a set of keys [1,2,3,4], retrieve the records for these from Riak using MapReduce).
>>

>I don't know of any, but we have a decent number of Pythonistas on the list. Hopefully one of them can help you out.

Pythonistas, where art thou? :)

--
Regards,
Ishwar.