Riak n00b questions

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Mon Mar 14 11:28:35 EDT 2011

>> It is not currently, but we are looking into the feasibility of supporting other languages.  However, I might say that if you're already doing Python and PHP, it would be worth your while (and not difficult) to learn JavaScript.
>
> We already have a whole bunch of processing on the data written in Python and PHP, and porting them to Javascript is (1) very tedious, and (2) Javascript does not support the required functionality. For example, we do a bunch of NLP analysis on the data.
>
> Given these, is it advisable if I expose these processes as webservices and call them from javascript/erlang?

The other option of course, is to pre-process your data and just insert multiple copies in different formats, which is a pretty common pattern.  The tradeoff is whether you want to pay the cost at query time or at write time.  If you can pay that cost up-front, reads will likely be key-value or very simple MapReduce and thus very fast.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/