riak search

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Tue Mar 15 08:27:41 EDT 2011

Saurabh,

If you want to go with Solr, you have a few options:

1) Use application code to post an <add> document to Solr when saving your data into Riak.
2) Implement a Riak post-commit hook in Erlang to do the same, or to queue the additions to another process that can submit them to Solr.

I think you'll find that while on-disk indexes sound bad, that's actually how Solr does them too, and not every index query will hit disk on either system.  The primary difference is that Riak Search is tightly integrated with Riak KV and so you get a lot for free when you choose Riak Search, including auto-indexing and MapReduce queries that start with a search.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/