riak java client review (was Re: Riak Recap for March 14 - 15)

Russell Brown russell.brown at me.com
Thu Mar 17 10:24:31 EDT 2011

On 17 Mar 2011, at 13:57, Abhishek Kona wrote:

> Yes.
> Earlier query : http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2011-March/003461.html

Right, I remember now. At the moment I'm inclined toward leaving the job of load balancing to a load balancer (like haproxy.)

I guess it is feasible to add something like this to the Java client, maybe with naive (RR) load balancing, but done as a strategy so more sophisticated load balancing could be contributed.

The Riak cluster is an elastic thing and adding/removing nodes is operationally normal; load balancing is a problem in its own right. At the moment I'd say it is only a tentative yes for some future version. Of course a barrage of +1s would encourage a re-think.