A script to check bitcask keydir sizes

Anthony Molinaro anthonym at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 24 02:45:39 EDT 2011

Hi Nico,

   Its unclear riak-admin status eventually calls riak_kv_stat:get_stats
which states

%%</dd><dt> mem_total
%%</dt><dd> The first element of the tuple returned by
%%          {@link memsup:get_memory_data/0}.
%%
%%</dd><dt> mem_allocated
%%</dt><dd> The second element of the tuple returned by
%%          {@link memsup:get_memory_data/0}.
%%

The man page for memsup states

  Returns  the  result  of the latest memory check, where Total is
  the total memory size and Allocated the allocated  memory  size,
  in bytes.

which doesn't tell me if that's filesystem cache or not.  According to
top the riak beam.smp is using 3G of virtual and 2.7G of resident
on node1 which don't match any of the values from before.  Attaching
to the riak node and running memory() I see

[{total,2392208240},
 {processes,15012600},
 {processes_used,12797856},
 {system,2377195640},
 {atom,824297},
 {atom_used,812024},
 {binary,898656},
 {code,8336856},
 {ets,556632}]

Which seems to reflect what top claims.  I'm just curious what to look at
to determine when I need to add new nodes.  I'm currently capturing the
statistics riak provides and putting them into rrds, and mean response time
is great (95,99, and 100 have spikes quite regularly which I still don't fully
understand the cause of, but mean/median is pretty good <1ms).  But I'm
wondering when to detect if the whole thing will come crashing down.

I've used Cassandra for the last 20 months in production and had the same
issue, it works great then it falls over, and unfortunately with such evenly
space data, everything tends to fall over at once.  I just don't want that
to happen with my riak cluster, so am wondering how to tell if you are close
to needing to grow.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Anthony