Easier to use Java Client

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Tue Mar 29 10:02:54 EDT 2011

On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:28 AM, Rexxe wrote:

> I started to use Riak using the spring-data project but found that their API was lacking and had serious issues with strict typing.  It turns out that the Java API they've built is pretty much being built just so it works in Grails/Groovy.

Actually, what I said is that the spring-data support for Riak needed to accommodate the Groovy use-case. It's not specifically for the Grails/Groovy use case, but that it is being used heavily there so its a dependency.

We've talked about having a separate Template abstraction that uses Strings for keys, etc... It's an approach that Costin has pursued with the Redis support and seems to work fairly well. It might be that we just need a template that takes these things into account. I think with the addition of a few helpers, we could make it look like whatever someone wanted. :)

> So, I started to look at the Riak Java API.  I found it to be a bit complicated and I didn't like how it still forced the user to know about a lot of specifics of Riak, especially query params and other properties, and didn't provide a layer of abstraction on top of the actual client (so I could say go switch between the REST and PBC client).  So, I decided to write my own client and semi-ORM layer.   I am still working on some of the details, I need to write more tests, and I need to document it, but the bulk of the code is done. I have only implemented the REST client so far, but I plan on implementing PB in the future.
>
> You can check it out here: https://github.com/aberman/spring-riak

I like what you've done here, having gone through the code. It's very well-written and would make a good alternative to what's currently available. It doesn't cover the full feature needs yet, but its certainly a good start.

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin

http://jbrisbin.com
Twitter: @j_brisbin