Riak vs riak_core

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Wed Mar 30 21:00:34 EDT 2011

Hi, Mike.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Mike Oxford <moxford at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I understood Riak, then I ran across the fact that riak_core was
> split out separately.
> When would you use riak_core that you wouldn't use Riak?

Good question.

Riak Core is the distributed systems center that Riak is built around.
 Riak Core is not a standalone database, and in fact by itself it
doesn't do data storage or even much of anything at all from the point
of view of a client application.

You use Riak to store, query, and retrieve your data.

You use Riak Core to build something shaped a bit like Riak.

Another way of looking at this is that Riak Core is a bit more
abstract, providing mechanisms for techniques such as vector clocks,
gossip, and other useful parts of the servers in a robust and scalable
system.  Riak, the database, builds on that core by adding a
client-facing storage and retrieval protocol, storage engines for
placing data on disk, and so on.

I hope that this helps to clarify matters.  If not, or even if you
just have additional questions, please ask.

Best regards,

-Justin