Searching and sorting with mapreduce or solr?

Odelon Miranda odie.miranda at
Mon May 2 20:30:10 EDT 2011

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for you reply.

What would you suggest on using, the solr interface or the map-reduce?

What would be best to use when you are processing lets say 1 million

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:13 AM, <siculars at> wrote:

> Riak m/r is a scan operation. Solr is an indexed operation. By definition
> an indexed operation will be faster than a scan operation. Just something to
> keep in mind.
> You also mention "search by field" but Riak is opaque to values so I will
> just assume your values are json (not to say that you can't operate on non
> json data).
> Basically you are going to run a map function that has your filter in it.
> And then pass those results to a reduce function that implements a sort.
> Your actual implementation will take advantage of features made available
> by the client you use. I mainly use the nodejs javascript client, riakjs,
> which has very good support for building m/r queries.
> I have two articles on my blog which may help you out.
> Cheers,
> Alexander

We stretch out both of our arms...
Pass through the clouds, straight to the sky...
Even though we touched the Moon and the Mars...
We still cannot touch the TRUTH.
--- from the manga BLEACH