EC2 and node names

Jeff Pollard jeff.pollard at
Tue May 3 13:35:28 EDT 2011

Thanks for the reply.  I think I understand what you're saying, but it's not
100% clear to me how exactly it applies to my question.  I'll try explaining
my plan another way if that helps.

Imagine we have 4 nodes running in a ring on EC2: riak at,
riak at, riak at, riak at  Then one day node
riak at goes down and is unrecoverable.  Our plan had been:

# On a existing node in the cluster
riak-admin remove riak at
riak-admin ringready
# .. wait for TRUE

# Boot a new EC2 machine configured as riak at (brand new IP)
# Then on that new machine...
riak start
riak-admin join riak at
riak-admin ringready
# .. wait for TRUE

In that scenario, I imagine the issue is that removing and adding a new node
under a new node name is putting extra strain on the cluster to shift data
around?  Simply replacing a new node under the same hostname (even though it
has a different IP) would mean less work for the cluster?  And how much
extra work are