Riak Recap For May 11 - 12

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri May 13 16:37:34 EDT 2011

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to All -

Massive Recap for today: new code, blog posts, jobs, sample apps, and more.

Enjoy and, as usual, have a great weekend.

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups
-----------------------------------

Riak Recap For May 11 - 12
=====================

1) Q --- Riak have any form of user auth built in, or does it just
assume that if it's accessible, it's meant for you to use? (from
intel352 via #riak)

    A --- https://help.basho.com/entries/354039-is-there-any-way-in-riak-to-limit-access-to-a-user-or-a-group-of-users

2) Q --- Are there any examples available that show how a SQL-based
application could transition to Riak? I know Riak is schema-less, I'm
more interested in seeing how other people solve such a transition.

    A --- http://vimeo.com/17604126

3) For anyone in or around the Dallas area: Basho Developer Advocate
Grant Schofield will be giving a Riak Talk at the Dallas Big Data
Meetup on June 9.

* Details here ---> http://www.dfwbigdata.org/events/17758631/

4) Bob Ippolito (@etrepum) and long-time Riak users Mochi Media have
been doing some very cool stuff with Riak of late. Bob recently
released a chunk of code called "statebox_riak." This is a subset of
code from the initial "statebox" repo they released a few weeks back.

* statebox_riak ---> https://github.com/mochi/statebox_riak
* statebox ---> https://github.com/mochi/statebox

And, Bob published a blog post demonstrating just how useful statebox
can be when dealing with merging and conflict resolution.

* Read here ---> http://labs.mochimedia.com/archive/2011/05/08/statebox/

Thanks, Bob!

5) OJ Reeves (@thecolonial) just posted the code for the demo app that
he built and used for deliver his presentation at a recent .NET meetup
in Australia.

* Code is here on GitHub ---> https://github.com/OJ/selusuh

Thanks, OJ! (Also, for you Riak historians out there, I believe this
is the first Riak preso to be delivered by a community member in
Australia. Anyone care to prove me wrong?)

6) Mårten Gustafson (@martengustafson) gave a NoSQL overview
presentation at the Progressive.NET meetup in Stockholm on May 12.
Riak got a non-trivial mention.

* Slides here --->
http://marten.gustafson.pp.se/content/presentations#TOC-NoSQL-Overview-2011-05-12-

7) Basho Developer Advocate Mathias Meyer (@roidrage) delivered a
presentation at Goto Conf in Copehagen on May 10.

His slides are here ---> riak-gotocph-2011.heroku.com/

8) seancribbs and jackdempsy had a general conversation about Riak
Search in #riak

* Gist here ---> https://gist.github.com/971181

9) Jobs!

* StackMob in San Francisco is hiring a Server Engineer --->
http://bit.ly/iqDHbT (Added incentive to apply for this job: you will
be working *very* close to the Basho San Francisco Office...)
* Advanced Digital Systems in Washington, DC is hiring a Web
Application Programmer ---> http://bit.ly/lXzGoh
* Gamefly is hiring a Cloud Developer in LA ---> http://bit.ly/kOLGd6
* Object Technology Solutions in Palo Alto is hiring a Sr. JAVA WEB
DEVELOPER WITH CLOUD COMPUTING --->  http://bit.ly/jVFT6f
* Publishing Company in NYC is hiring a Lead Developer ---> http://bit.ly/kbgbfH