Riak Recap for May 18 - 19

Greg Nelson grourk at dropcam.com
Sat May 21 21:44:58 EDT 2011

Hi Anthony,

You mentioned you're planning on growing to around 100 nodes. I'm curious what ring_creation_size you used? Also, how much data capacity per node are you planning on?

I've been spending a lot of time lately working through what happens when a node joins. There are a couple of big issues you will want to look out for in addition to what you've discovered, which boil down to essentially:
After a node joins, the data on partitions which change nodes in the new ring will be unavailable until the handoffs are complete. Currently this comes back as a 404 that's indistinguishable from a "true" 404.
At certain points in the progression of ring states from 1 to 100 nodes, a LOT more partitions move around than you'd expect from a consistent hashing scheme.

#2 obviously exacerbates #1, and if -- like us -- you plan to have a lot of data in the cluster, having most of it move around after a node joins is unrealistic.

I'm still trying to work through exactly what's happening with #2, but it seems like once you have more nodes than target_n_val, when adding a new node you usually get the consistent hashing property you want: that the new node takes some partitions from each of the other nodes, and that's it. But every once in a while (and really, not all that rarely), shit hits the fan and it decides to re-balance and completely change the ring. >95% of partitions will move, in certain cases!

I have some erlang console code I've been using with riak_core to simulate our cluster, to get a deeper understanding of the rings at each phase. I might be able to clean that up and put it into a script to share.

-Greg
As I asked this question I thought I would pipe in with my experience (comments inline).