Searching and sorting with mapreduce or solr?

siculars at gmail.com siculars at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:13:58 EDT 2011

Riak m/r is a scan operation. Solr is an indexed operation. By definition an indexed operation will be faster than a scan operation. Just something to keep in mind.

You also mention "search by field" but Riak is opaque to values so I will just assume your values are json (not to say that you can't operate on non json data).
Basically you are going to run a map function that has your filter in it. And then pass those results to a reduce function that implements a sort.

Your actual implementation will take advantage of features made available by the client you use. I mainly use the nodejs javascript client, riakjs, which has very good support for building m/r queries.

I have two articles on my blog which may help you out.
http://siculars.posterous.com/tag/riak

Cheers,
Alexander