'not found' after join

Greg Nelson grourk at dropcam.com
Mon May 2 21:48:36 EDT 2011

Hello riak users!

I have a 4 node cluster that started out as 3 nodes. ring_creation_size = 2048, target_n_val is default (4), and all buckets have n_val = 3.

When I joined the 4th node, for a few minutes some GETs were returning 'not found' for data that was already in riak. Eventually the data was returned, due to read repair I would assume. Is this expected? It seems that 'not found' and read repairs should only happen when something goes wrong, like a node goes down. Not when adding a node to the cluster, which is supposed to be part of normal operation!

Any help or insight is appreciated!

Greg