Secondary Indices and Storing Binary Data

Runar Jordahl runar.jordahl at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:55:32 EDT 2011

I am working on a solution where an object graph (for example a full
insurace contract) is serialized to binary data and stored as a single
Riak object. Upon saving the binary data to Riak, I will extract the
fields needed for indexing and (hopefully) use the upcoming “secondary
indices” ( http://www.oscon.com/oscon2011/public/schedule/detail/19806
) to index the object based on the extracted data.

How will this work with the upcoming secondary indices feature? Will I
need to store all data (index data and binary data) as a single JSON
object, using base-encoding for the binary part? Or, will I be able to
use custom headers for the indices, storing only raw binary data as
the main content?

Kind regards
Runar