EC2 and node names

Grant Schofield grant at basho.com
Tue May 3 09:24:58 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Jeff Pollard wrote:

> I was reviewing the Riak Operations webinar, and it was mentioned that the preferred vm.args -name for EC2 environments should be "riak at hostname" because you don't have to "rename data or do anything weird" like you would if your nodes were named "riak at ip.address" (approximately 40:05 in the video).
>
> I was looking for some elaboration on this tip, namely:
> What is meant by "rename data or do anything weird"
When you bring a cluster together using data copied from a different set of nodes you need to re-ip the first node you plan to start but you also have to change the ring manually on that node so when the subsequent nodes join everything works properly.

> Is "hostname" in riak at hostname a public DNS host that you configure in your DNS to map to the EC2 public hostname (ec2-50-18-...)?
You can use DNS (public or private) or host file entries that reference the private IP of the node if you choose to use hostname.

> Does anyone have any best practices around vm.args -name in EC2 environments?
We haven't outlined any best practices ourselves, but I tend to believe using a hostname that you can change the IP for via DNS or a hosts file is a more flexible way of approaching the problem.

Grant