Authentication

Aphyr aphyr at aphyr.com
Tue May 3 12:22:11 EDT 2011

Any system which presents plaintext is vulnerable; it is simply a matter
of complexity. Once you've compromised a layer which processes
plaintext, all layers below it are essentially moot, as the Playstation
network recently discovered.

The only scheme which will defend against data compromise is one in
which the application does not contain sufficient information to
reconstruct the plaintext. For example, you can have the client of the
system (each user, for example) store a secret (say, a password) which
is never yielded directly to the application, but is used as a part of
the cryptosystem key. Hence the application can never reconstruct the
plaintext. This may, of course, limit how useful your application can be.

Long story short: it's application dependent. I don't think it would be
useful to bake that feature into Riak. My advice is to design in depth,
modularize systems that handle critical data to reduce their
vulnerability surface, and plan for each layer to be compromised
progressively. It can buy you some time.

--Kyle