crash after single insert

Nico Meyer nico.meyer at adition.com
Sat May 7 03:45:42 EDT 2011

Hi Gary,

I had this problem before a few times.
It is cause by leftover files named 'bitcask.write.lock'. Normally theey
should be cleared automatically after a crash. They contain the OS
process ID of the erlang VM which created them, and if there is no such
process bitcask deletes the file.
I believe that there might exists another process with the same process
ID as the old riak process. Did you reboot the machine by any chance?
since then the PIDs start counting up from 1 again.

The easy fix for your problem is to delete all bitcask.write.lock files
in your bitcask directory (e.g. 'rm /var/lib/bitcask/*/bitcask.write.lock').
If you are curious you could check if my hunch is right beforehand. Just
look at the contents of any of these files (which looks like: PID
/path/to/current/bitcaskfile/123456.bitcask.data), and see if there is
another process with the PID.

Cheers Nico