Javascript errors in reduce phases seen as {error,javascript_reduce_timeout}?

Jeremy Raymond jeraymond at rim.com
Tue May 10 09:20:30 EDT 2011

Hello,

In a MapReduce job I have filtering through about 6500 items if I filter out enough items my m/r job completes successfully. If I loosen the filtering such that a large number of items would be included in the results the m/r fails with error {error,javascript_reduce_timeout}. This error occurs after about 10 seconds of processing. Would Javascript errors such as the Javascript process running out of memory and crashing result in this timeout error? I also noticed that after this error is returned, the riak node I made the request on chugs along at ~100% CPU for about another minute but the other two nodes quite down almost immediately after the error is returned. How might I go about debugging this?

- Jeremy