embedding riak_core into RabbitMQ

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Thu May 19 14:49:50 EDT 2011

I've mentioned this a couple places, but I'm toying with embedding riak_core into RabbitMQ as a plugin. I already have a consumer that invokes vnodes but I'm wondering (in code) whether or not it would be more efficient to implement this behaviour as a custom exchange. This is also an exercise for my Erlang Factory presentation.

To that end, I've got riak_core running as a plugin with a special script I call from my Makefile to patch the riak_core distro so it will go into RabbitMQ's VM without complaining about extra .beam files (for things already inside RabbitMQ).

I'm getting a couple warnings related to cluster_info and riak_err not being available. I've included cluster_info to get rid of that warning, but I'm not sure I want to include riak_err because it seems to put my logging output back into the console (I run my RabbitMQ broker in a terminal so I can get an Erlang shell with it). It makes a mess in my terminal window, so I'm considering leaving that out of my plugins directory.

Will leaving riak_err out cause problems with riak_core? Other than this, riak_core was relatively easy to embed.

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin

http://jbrisbin.com
Twitter: @j_brisbin