General Memory/Performance Tuning Guidelines

Gordon Tillman gtillman at mezeo.com
Wed May 25 08:29:48 EDT 2011

Morning Rusty,

Thanks very much for your time and trouble.  Great info, very helpful, and very timely!

Regards,

--gordon

On May 24, 2011, at 16:32 , Rusty Klophaus wrote:

Hi Gordon,

I have limited knowledge of configuring Innostore but can help answer some of your merge_index questions.

The most important merge_index setting in terms of memory usage is 'buffer_rollover_size'. This affects how large the buffer is allowed to grow, in bytes, before getting converted to an on-disk segment. Each partition maintains a separate buffer, so any increases to this number will be multiplied by the number of partitions in your system. The higher this number, the less frequently merge_index will need to perform compactions.

The second most important settings for memory usage are a combination of 'segment_full_read_size' and 'max_compact_segments'. During compaction, the system will completely page any segments smaller than the 'segment_full_read_size' value into memory. This should generally be as large or larger than the 'buffer_rollover_size'. The higher this number, the quicker each compaction will be. 'max_compact_segments' is the maximum number of segments to compact at one time. The higher this number, the more segments merge_index can involve in each compaction. In the worst case, a compaction could take ('segment_full_read_size' * 'max_compact_segments') bytes of RAM.

The rest of the settings have a much smaller impact on performance and memory usage, and exist mainly for tweaking and special cases.

This is a completely unscientific estimate based on observing other Riak Search applications, but I'd set buffer_rollover_size so that (# Partitions * buffer_rollover_size) is about one-half the memory you wish for merge_index to consume, hopefully somewhere between 1M and 10M. The rest of the memory will be used by in-memory offset tables, compaction processes, and during query operations.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Rusty