about riak gossip issue

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Fri May 27 07:47:37 EDT 2011

Xinming Yao,

Yes, there will potentially be a period where not all nodes agree on the ring, which is why the `riak-admin ringready` command exists.  However, in cases of nodes joining and leaving, the new ring is cast to all known nodes in the cluster, which helps speed convergence. Other ring changes, like bucket properties, do not have an explicit cast-to-all (at least, last time I looked), and so may propagate more slowly.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/